Generating the blog with Jekyll
Static Site Generator-generated!
We are now up and running with static site generator Jekyll!
As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I wanted to start experimenting with some static website tools. A few hours research today and we’re good (I think). This is what’s been done:
- Decided to try out Jekyll as a static site generator (it has been round for long and the documentation is good)
- Install Ruby (Jekyll is written in Ruby). I’m on Windows so I used the installer package: Ruby
- With Ruby installed, proceeded to install Jekyll:
> gem install jekyll
- Created a new Jekyll site:
> jekyll new C:/my-path
- Followed the official Jekyll guide on converting a site to Jekyll
And it seems smooth! I like being able to re-use footer and html head without any hassle, just by using layouts.